Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie Macdonald

Again, I'm squeaking in the chunkster category at 508 pages and again this is a book I just picked up at the library sale. Also, again, this book has an interesting locale, in this case, Cape Breton.  The story is a multi-generational one which involves a mixture of  Scottish, Lebanese, and black family members. It covers a couple of generations, and includes WWI, Prohibition, the Depression, and the Harlem Renaissance. At the center of the novel is a very, very, very dysfunctional family which is hiding its dysfunctional secrets.  The is a book in Oprah's Club, so I'm assuming it was very popular because Oprah can make or break a book. There is some good and witty writing  and the main female characters all have a certain pluckiness about them that I enjoyed but overall I found the book just a bit on the dark side and it kind of got me down as I continued to read.  I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading Fall On Your Knees but it did remind me of A Thousand Acres if any of you are familiar with that book.

No comments: